Thursday 25 July 2013

St Helens' hero Jon WIlkin fears England KO

The international second rower has been playing in the halves all year to help ease Saints’ selection ­problems.


Wilkin admits it could jeopardise his England chances but insists he will carry on putting club before country.


He said: “I am a second rower and haven’t played there all year and, in terms of playing Test match rugby in my position, that is not ideal.


“Deep down I’ve always known it would be ­detrimental to me as far as England selection is ­concerned.


“I’ve sacrificed a lot, because I really want to play in the World Cup, but it’s difficult when you’re not playing your natural position.


“But my No.1 priority is, and always will be, the contribution I can make to Saints.


“It’s still my deeply-held ambition to play for England in the World Cup but I am passionate about what this club means so I will do what is best for the team.”


Wilkin steered seventh-placed Saints to a dramatic ­22-16 derby win over Wigan on Monday, preventing their rivals going top of Super League.


It was a game Wilkin believes Saints would probably have lost ­earlier this season.


He said: “It has been a tough ­season for many reasons and we’ve had some real lows.



St Helens" hero Jon WIlkin fears England KO

No comments:

Post a Comment