Friday 28 February 2014

Yeoman Ben Morgan takes his England guard

For Morgan, the No8 whose chance will come at Twickenham next Sunday as the nearest thing to a like-for-like replacement for the injured Billy Vunipola, this was never as confusing as it sounds, never a case of “opting for” England. He was and is a yeoman Englishman, end of story.


But the fact remains that ever since his affiliation became clear, Wales have been champions. Morgan was born in Bristol and raised in Dursley, but there are numerous English-born members of the Wales squad, of whom Jake Ball is only the latest.


How about George North, Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Dan Lydiate, Taulupe Falatau – 2013 Lions all, sons of King’s Lynn, Gloucester, Solihull, Salford and Tofua respectively? Why, Cuthbert and Morgan could almost be neighbours.


“No regrets at all,” said Morgan. “I was playing in Wales but I am English. It would be false to say I regretted playing for my country.


“But my time playing for the Scarlets was absolutely crucial for me. They picked me up and gave me an opportunity. Without that I wouldn’t be here today.”


Morgan, 25, went home to Gloucester in 2012 in the knowledge that England coach Stuart Lancaster would not persist in picking him if he stayed outside the English system. By the start of the 2013 Six Nations he was Lancaster’s clear No8 preference.


Article source: http://www.express.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/415202/Injury-forces-Thomas-to-retire


Yeoman Ben Morgan takes his England guard

No comments:

Post a Comment