Tuesday 25 February 2014

Rugby League - Amor happy as bearded wonder

Even at 6ft 2in, the rangy Cumbrian is only the fifth-tallest forward on the books at Langtree Park, which is rapidly overtaking Huddersfield as Super League’s land of the giants.


But nobody can miss the bushy, bedraggled looks of the former Leeds and Wakefield front-rower, who is quite content to resemble a tramp.


“When we went out on Mad Monday (for Wakefield’s end-of-season club party), we all got given a letter to go in fancy dress in and I got given ‘T’,” Amor explained.


“I had a bit of stubble on my face so I went dressed as a tramp and I haven’t really looked back.


“I’ve not shaved since. I think I’m going to keep it, certainly until it warms up a bit and then see how it goes.”


Amor has been catching the eye during Saints’ impressive start to the season and will be looking to help take them to the top of the table on Thursday when they visit new-look Salford, another of the unbeaten teams after two rounds of the First Utility Super League.


The 26-year-old was one of five of Wakefield’s best players sacrificed in the close season to save them from financial ruin.


Once Amor’s availability became known, St Helens coach Nathan Brown was quick to make a move and the player was delighted to rejoin one of Super League’s fashionable clubs following his inability to make a mark at Leeds.


There was a tinge of regret over leaving the Wildcats, who had helped get his career back on track, but Amor makes no apology for his ambition to win trophies.


“I made no secret that I really loved my time at Wakefield,” he said. “They are always going to be special for me.


“That first season at Leeds didn’t go really well and Wakefield gave me an opportunity when I was struggling.


“John Kear gave me me a lot of game time and a lot of experience and I’ll always be thankful for that.


“But it’s the nature of the game, people come and go and, when I got the call saying St Helens were interested, it was something I got excited about.


“With the financial situation at Wakefield, it allowed that ball to get rolling a bit quicker.


“I am really glad to be here.”


Amor, an Ireland international who missed the World Cup after undergoing wrist surgery, was one of four major arrivals in the close season designed to bring back the trophy-winning days to Saints, who were Super League champions four times in the first five years but have not lifted any silverware since their Challenge Cup success of 2008.


Amor’s front-row colleagues Mose Masoe and Richard Beaumont are still recovering from surgery but Amor and Australian scrum-half Luke Walsh have both made a positive impact in the opening wins over Warrington and Hull.


“I believe we have quality in this squad,” said Amor, who believes his best rugby is ahead of him. “We’ve certainly a lot of experience and there’s a great set of young players coming through.


“It’s really exciting. Hopefully we are going to bring some good times back here.


“It goes without saying that, when you’re surrounded by better quality players, you normally pick up traits and understand how they want you to play.


“Hopefully it will allow my own game to improve. They say you don’t peak until you are about 28.”



Article source: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/feb/16/owen-farrell-england-ireland


Rugby League - Amor happy as bearded wonder

No comments:

Post a Comment