Wednesday 26 February 2014

Rugby - Slater looking for England chance after training with Red Rose

The 25-year-old lock-forward has been in great form in the Aviva Premiership this season and was called into Stuart Lancaster’s set-up as a replacement for injured club teammate Geoff Parling.


Slater trained at Pennyhill Park as England prepared for their game against Ireland at Twickenham last weekend before returning to captain the Tigers in their 20-15 victory over London Irish on Sunday.


Although he is yet to force his way past the likes of Courtney Lawes and Joe Launchbury into the Red Rose match-day squad, Slater enjoyed his first foray into the camp and wants more.


“I’m desperate to play for my country and wear that England shirt, it certainly has whetted the appetite,” said Slater.


“But there’s two locks in there in Courtney and Joe who are in superb form and are playing on merit.


“My job was to work as hard as I could in training and impress. Of course my ambition is to play for England one day, but I can only concentrate on what I can do.


“It has been a great experience, not playing at the end of the week is difficult but just training with the lads has been brilliant for me.


“Obviously I’ve had (Leicester teammates) Tom and Ben Youngs in there with me, and the likes of Billy Twelvetrees and George Ford I know from my time with the Saxons.


“They are all great players but they’re also a good set of lads as well which really helps.”


But Tigers talisman Slater is also determined to see club do well before worrying about his country.


Leicester’s victory over Irish at the weekend, coupled with Harlequins loss to Gloucester, saw the Tigers move back into the top four.


And Slater admits they cannot take their foot off the gas as the battle for the play-offs heats up.


“Every week between now and the end of the season we are fighting for that top four spot,” added Slater.


“In previous years we may have had a cushion of being in the top two, but not this time, we have sides breathing down our necks and we have to keep going and concentrate on our performance.”


© Sportsbeat 2014



Article source: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/video-teenager-stopped-playing-rugby-6748360


Rugby - Slater looking for England chance after training with Red Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment