Saturday, 12 July 2014

Tributes paid to Wakefield Rugby Union Club legend Peter Hannon

A legend of Wakefield’s rugby union scene has died suddenly from a heart condition.

Peter Hannon, who scored 188 first team tries for Wakefield Rugby Union Club, died in hospital in Newcastle on June 17, aged 61.

At a packed funeral at Wakefield Crematorium last Friday, mourners paid their respects to Mr Hannon, who played for the club’s first team 300 times.

Mr Hannon is survived by his wife Janet, 55, son Jamie, 16, daughters Lucy, 26, and Bridie, 24, and nine-month-old grandson Hugo.

Mrs Hannon, of Clifton Avenue, Stanley, said: “He loved his family.

“He was well known and well loved.

“Peter lived life to the full. He had a fantastic sense of humour and I think that’s what made him so popular.

Mr Hannon, who had suffered from a heart condition for around 12 years, was taken ill in Wakefield and transferred to the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle, where he died after being treated in intensive care.

Mrs Hannon said he had been on a list for a heart transplant when he died.

Mr Hannon, who worked for building firm Taylor Wimpey, was born in 1952 and brought up in Thornes.

He was educated at QEGS, where he played in the school’s first team aged only 15.

He went on to play for Wakefield, and made a name for himself as the club’s most prolific hat-trick scorer, with 15 to his name.

He also served as second team manager and a corporate fundraiser for the College Grove club.

Mr Hannon, who enjoyed reading the rugby newsletter Burglar Bill, was named Player of the Year in 1979-80 and Clubman of the Year in the 1992-3 season.

Mrs Hannon said: “There were about 200 people at his funeral.

“We couldn’t believe it when we got to the crematorium. It was like a football crowd. The car park was overflowing.

“That shows how popular he was. He was much loved by everybody.”

Article source:

Tributes paid to Wakefield Rugby Union Club legend Peter Hannon

No comments:

Post a Comment