Saturday 28 June 2014

Worcester"s Tom Biggs: "Why England exclusion prompted my Bath Rugby ...



Comments (0)


Tom Biggs says the realisation he would never play for England is what prompted him to seek a move away from Bath Rugby. 


His dazzling breaks and flowing locks made Biggs a crowd favourite at The Rec over the past four seasons but he is heading for pastures new and will spearhead Worcester Warriors’ assault on an immediate return to the Aviva Premiership. 


Winger Biggs has England Under-21s, Sevens and Saxons appearances to his name and trained with the senior squad during the 2012 autumn internationals. 


But that was as close as the 29-year-old came to a full Red Rose cap and what sparked him to seek a new challenge. 



“I’ve had a great time here and played with some fantastic characters,” said Biggs, who joined Bath from Newcastle Falcons in 2010. 


“It’s just been an amazing experience and I never thought I’d get the opportunity to play for such a prestigious club. 


“At the start of last year I was told I was never going to represent England and that was always a personal aim. When that wasn’t going to be the case I felt I needed a new challenge. 


“I’d love to have played for England. I think I deserved the opportunity and I think a few other guys in my position had plenty of opportunities and didn’t take them. I’m just disappointed I didn’t get a chance to pull on that shirt.” 


Biggs’ departure from Bath was confirmed as early as last October but became one of the most complex in the club’s recent history. 


Back then it was announced that the winger was returning to his home town and had agreed a cross-code switch to Super League outfit Hull. 


But with Hull eager to bring Biggs in ready for the start of their season in February and Bath keen to keep hold of him until theirs finished in May, the plug was eventually pulled on the deal. 


“I thought I might be able to move earlier but that wasn’t the case,” said Biggs. 


“Hull wanted to pursue other options and needed to get players in because they had injuries in the outside backs. 


“Unfortunately that move broke down but I spoke to a few union clubs and I am really excited to be joining Worcester.” 


The final season at The Rec was a frustrating one for Biggs. He played in just four Premiership games and did not feature at all after the LV= Cup pool games in late January. 


Even so, Bath head coach Mike Ford was keen to keep him around when the Hull deal fell through but ultimately could not find a way to squeeze him back into his salary cap. 


“I’d have loved to have been involved more but that’s just the way it goes sometimes,” Biggs added. 


“Right the way through everyone at the club has been fantastic with me and I’ve got no doubt that this team will be winning trophies in the future. 


“With how the facilities are developing and how Bruce [Craig] is investing in the club and moving it forward, I’m sure this club will be successful.”



Article source: http://www.skysports.com/rugbyunion/match_report/0,,11069_62732_1,00.html


Worcester"s Tom Biggs: "Why England exclusion prompted my Bath Rugby ...

No comments:

Post a Comment