Thursday 26 June 2014

Elliott makes GB students rugby league team on tour



Comments (0)


PLYMOUTH-born Harrison Elliott has been selected by Great Britain students’ rugby league team for a competition in South Africa.


The two-week long tournament, which will take place in September, will not be Elliott’s first time in South Africa.


He said: “I have been there once before, back in 2008 and I am excited to go there again.”


Speaking about how he found out he was picked for the trip, the prop explained: “We were at a big presentation dinner when GB chose the squad.


“There were a lot of very good players who could have been selected, so for me it was a shock to get the call for the team.”


Elliott has not looked back since he started playing initially rugby union at the age of 15, after his friends convinced him to attend a session which resulted in him playing for Plymouth Argaum.


At 16 Elliott moved to Devonport Services where he played for their colts before playing for the first team.


During that time Elliott moved away to university in Cardiff, which meant he was only available to play for Services during holidays such as Christmas and Easter.


While at university Elliott played rugby for four seasons, three of them as captain.


He said: “During my time there I led the team to three successive British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) finals, of which we won one.


“This in turn led to me having three campaigns as a Wales Student international, playing at two Four Nation tournaments and winning one.


“I also reached the semi-finals of a World Cup in that time.


“In addition I was lucky enough to be selected for the Great Britain Ireland Academic Lions, the most prestigious honour a student rugby player can achieve.


“On top of that I was offered a professional contract at South Wales Scorpions.”


Elliott is still juggling rugby with his education, currently as a postgraduate student in sports and exercise.


On top of this Elliott is also working as a strength and conditioning coach for Wigan Warriors, who have a rugby academy in Wales.


“It has been great working at the academy,” said Elliott.


“I have been surrounded by top players, which has also given me the opportunity to work on my professional development.


“Rugby-wise I am currently playing in the British Associations Cup where GB students play against GB police, teachers and combined services.


“We have played against the police and managed to beat them 58-0 so it is going well.”


Speaking of his hopes for the tournament in South Africa, Elliott said: “My personal ambition is to make a name for myself and to stand out.


“Eventually I hope to move to Australia to play rugby, where players are on paid contracts.


“I know a few others who have done that via an agency so it is definitely something I am keen to do.”



Article source: http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Old-Richians-rugby-star-playing-Aussie-Rules/story-21000524-detail/story.html


Elliott makes GB students rugby league team on tour

No comments:

Post a Comment