Friday 8 November 2013

Marlie Packer plumbing the heights of rugby union with England against France ...


She is certainly not unusual in being a female rugby player who holds down a

day job and Packer cites colleagues who are nurses, vets, teachers and

police officers, but she concedes that her life outside rugby is the one

that raises most eyebrows.



“For any of us as top end athletes we’re very determined people and we know

what we want out of life and I think that shows on the pitch and off the

pitch,” she says.



“I used to know [Claire] Molloy at Bristol when she was captain for the

Ireland seven squad and she was doing her doctor’s degree that year and

passing.



“If you put your mind to something and you want it, you will get it.”



Packer says she loves being able to tell her plumbing customers they can watch

her on television.



“People are really interested,” she says. “When I speak to them on the phone

they think it’s just an operator talking, and then when I turn up they go,

‘Oooh, a lady plumber’. I always get that.”



She says the discussion then always turns to how strong she is and then on to

rugby.



“It’s always a really good reaction.”



Packer became interested in rugby aged five, when a family friend took her to

practice.



“My mum thought I was just going to watch but I wasn’t, so I ruined all my

nice new clothes. And I’ve never given up since, I loved it.”



The women’s game is getting more recognition but comparisons with the men’s

game are inevitable.



“The physicality of it is just as physical as the men’s, it’s just as

nail-biting and on the edge as the men’s. ”



Packer was initially a hooker but moved to the second row and has now played

in every back row position. Her reputation as one of the tougher players in

the side goes before her but she insists it is unmerited.



“Some players can call me quite nasty on the field but hopefully I don’t come

across like that. And if you look at the ladies’ profiles, we all scrub up

well.”




The England v France international is exclusively live on Sky Sports on

Saturday



Marlie Packer plumbing the heights of rugby union with England against France ...

No comments:

Post a Comment