Wednesday 27 November 2013

Sonny Bill Williams wins international rugby league player of year

Sonny Bill Williams has capped his spectacular return to rugby league by being named the world’s best player.


The New Zealand Test player was crowned Rugby League International Federation player of the year in Manchester on Wednesday night, beating out fellow nominees Kangaroos star Greg Inglis and Scotland’s Danny Brough.


Williams helped the Sydney Roosters to the NRL premiership after returning to the code following five years in rugby union, during which he played 19 Tests for the All Blacks.


The 28-year-old has also been in devastating form at the World Cup and will hope to follow up the award with victory in Saturday’s final against Australia at Old Trafford.


Williams was moved to tears at receiving an impromptu haka performance from his New Zealand team-mates after taking the award.


“That was definitely by far the best part of the night for me,” Williams said of his team-mates’ gesture. “I can’t remember the last time I cried but I was a little bit teary up there just seeing the brothers get up and show that respect.


“All I want is respect. I felt like after the way I left the game I lost a lot of respect but this year the way I tried to carry myself, just tried to get across the real me, I felt like I earned a lot of respect.”


In taking out the gong, Williams broke an Australian stranglehold on the honour with Billy Slater (2008, 2011), Jarryd Hayne (2009), Todd Carney (2010) and Cameron Smith (2012) previous winners since it was established six years ago.


Williams was one three Kiwis named in the team of the year at Wednesday night’s awards ceremony at The Lowry Hotel in Manchester, along with winger Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and hooker Issac Luke.


Inglis was named at full-back in the side, while Manly’s Clive Churchill medallist Daly Cherry-Evans was named halfback of the year.


Sea Eagles centre Jamie Lyon and Brisbane veteran Corey Parker were the other Australians in the side.


South Sydney and England front rower George Burgess beat out Sydney Roosters backrower Boyd Cordner to be named rookie of the year while older brother Sam was best prop.


Super League player of the year Brough was the five-eighth of the year.


Trent Robinson was awarded coach of the year after guiding the Roosters to the title in his first season in charge.


Article source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24976534


Sonny Bill Williams wins international rugby league player of year

No comments:

Post a Comment