Friday 23 August 2013

Rugby boost for women as Dowlais RFC launches side for girls

Kate Williams, 22, from the Avenue near Penydarren, has secured the backing of Dowlais RFC to launch a women’s side.


The politics and international relations graduate, who has played rugby since she was 18, is now trying to recruit players across the Valleys.


Kate said: “I came back home after graduating from Hull University a couple of months ago where I played for Hull Ladies and Hull University.


“I played two leagues below the premiership and was the first Welsh women to play for Yorkshire.


“There were just so many opportunities for women there but when I came back home I found there was a rugby team in Cardiff and Barry but no local club for women to go to here.


“There is not even a young girls set-up. So I took it upon myself to form a team.”


With the backing of Swalec Division Two East side Dowlais RFC, Kate has begun preparations this month, holding weekly coaching sessions.


“The WRU is trying to promote women’s rugby now. It is a big thing in England and it is so successful there because of the girls’ grass roots levels they have. This is the sort of thing I want to try and get going in Merthyr,” she said.


“How many men’s rugby clubs can you name in the area, then try and name local women’s teams?


“I think the lack of sporting opportunities for women in the area is really unfair. The local authorities have problems with funding but women’s sport in the Valleys is so underrated it’s almost laughable.


“Dowlais RFC jumped at the chance to help me.


“I have one year to establish the team, then if I can pull everything together, we will enter a league.


“We’ll have to enter the bottom of the Welsh divisions and work our way up.


“I am doing this on my own so have to prove myself. I


“’m just really keen, even if people haven’t played before, to come along and give it a go. Players can come to me for fitness but we’ll also have a lot of fun.


“It’s an exciting opportunity.”


Training is held at Dowlais RFC every Thursday at 6.30pm and Kate welcomes players aged 16 and over to join.


If you’re interested in playing, or to find out more info, go to the Dowlais Ladies RFC Facebook page.



Rugby boost for women as Dowlais RFC launches side for girls

No comments:

Post a Comment