Thursday 29 August 2013

John Barclay set for Scotland comeback

Scotland hero John Barclay is on course to make his big stage comeback in the Autumn Test encounter with Australia at Murrayfield.




The breakaway forward was forced to miss the summer tour to South Africa after having shoulder surgery.


But his new bosses at the Scarlets are confident he will be ready to figure in their home-turf Pro12 opener against champions Leinster a week on Friday.


Head coach Simon Easterby said: “John is progressing well and we are delighted with the stage he is at.


“We are not taking any risks with him during the pre-season matches, but we are hopeful he will be in the frame for the first league game.”


The pressure will be on Barclay to act as an inspiration to the Llanelli outfit in the wake of the controversial departure of Lions hero George North to Northampton Saints.


However, Barclay insisted there is enough young talent in Wales to more than make up for the absence of the man rated the most clinical finisher in the world.


Barclay admitted Glasgow’s two Pro12 defeats by Scarlets last term made him sit up and take notice of the club.


He said: “I kept a track on the guys who were staying. The core of the squad are still very young and there’s a lot of local guys that are passionate about the set-up.


“When I had a look around at places to go, they were the ones who really grabbed me — there was a bright light for me to think about. Hopefully I can be part of that.


“I always found the Scarlets a tough team and a tiring team to defend against. I felt this could work for me at a club that’s got so much history and tradition. The way they play was something that really appealed to me as well.


“I felt I was playing some of my best rugby for a long time towards the end of last season. I am looking forward to bringing that form here and being involved with different players and a different style of play which should freshen things up.”



John Barclay set for Scotland comeback

No comments:

Post a Comment