Thursday 29 August 2013

Leicester"s director of rugby Richard Cockerill labels new scrum laws as ...


“You have got to push the boundaries, that’s the nature of sport, and sport is

not a sterile thing for me,” Cockerill said at Twickenham. “That is my

personality. Just because I look aggressive, does that mean I am aggressive?

I didn’t abuse officials, but I did use industrial language.



“We operate in a very pressurised environment, a very male-orientated one

where that sort of language is used all the time. In the cold light of day,

in the PC world in which we live, I probably should not have done so. It was

felt that I was out of order and a disgrace to the game. It was also said

that I don’t understand the core values of the sport [respect, discipline

and sportsmanship].



“I went down after one of my players had been knocked out and a spinal board

had been called for in an incident the like of which I had spoken to

officials about beforehand. Would you not want the coach of your son to go

down and have words? They say that people would see how I behaved and not

take little Johnny to rugby on a Sunday morning as a result? Well, I take my

son.



“What about coaching a champion side that is one of the most disciplined? What

about standing by players even though they have been injured for two years?

Is that not about core values? It is my own fault for giving people the

opportunity to put that one on me. Human nature is human nature and you

can’t take that out of sport. My strength is also my weakness. When I was

banned in 2009 [for another outburst], I was out of order. That I accept.”



Key law changes



  • Scrum engagement: instruction is now ‘crouch, bind, set’ meaning

    both scrums engage with each other rather than standing apart and taking

    the hit.

  • Scrum-half cannot put the ball in until referee says ‘ready’.

  • Referees to enforce rule that the ball is fed into the scrum in a straight line

    down the middle of it.



Leicester"s director of rugby Richard Cockerill labels new scrum laws as ...

No comments:

Post a Comment