Thursday 4 September 2014

Cupar rugby player found guilty of rape

A Cupar rugby player has been convicted of raping a woman in a garden just hours after playing in a sevens tournament.




Girvin Imrie, 25, an engineer from Cupar, grabbed his 20-year-old victim, who was drunk and incapable of giving consent, from behind and raped her.


The attack took place in a garden at the rear of Howe of Fife Rugby Club, Cupar, on May 5 2013.


He was found guilty at the High Court in Glasgow. He had denied the charges.


He will be sentenced at the High Court in Edinburgh on October 1.


The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said in evidence she was at the rugby sevens event at Duffus Park, Cupar, with friends and ended up at the clubhouse.


She told advocate depute Shanti Maguire, prosecuting, after a few drinks she decided to go to the toilet, but, instead, ended up outside.


The woman said: “I was very happily drunk. I remember thinking I had to phone my boyfriend, but I can’t remember if I phoned him.”


Ms Maguire said: “What happened next?” and she replied: “I just remember somebody being behind me. I know he was quite strong. He was hurting my arm. I was scared. I remember a big dark shadow. He never said a word.”


She said the only part of him she could see was his hands as he held her in a vice-like grip and raped her before running off.


The court heard the hat Imrie was wearing that night had been found close to where the rape took place.


A DNA sample was taken from his victim, but went missing after Cupar police office closed down the day after the attack.


The sample, which was in a fridge in the CID office, disappeared during the removal process.


However, after hearing police were investigating an incident at the rugby club Imrie told them he had had consensual sex in the garden area that night with the woman.


Judge Lord Kinclaven remanded Imrie in custody and ordered a background report.


Article source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2707086/Scotlands-rugby-sevens-medal-hopes-alive-Canada-win-sees-New-Zealand-Pool-A.html


Cupar rugby player found guilty of rape

No comments:

Post a Comment