Sunday 7 September 2014

Saracens 34 - Wasps 28: Hat-trick star Strettle shows England quality

Strettle, who won the last of his 14 caps against Argentina in June 2013, stole the headlines from fellow England hopeful Christian Wade, who scored a brace of tries on his return from injury.


The Saracens winger, 31, scored two tries for the Red Rose, the second of which came in Salta on his last appearance, but has been overlooked since then.


Lancaster missed Strettle touching down in the dying seconds to clinch a dramatic victory for the 2012 Premiership champions as he was watching Sale lose at home to Bath.


But with the wing positions for the autumn international series against the three Southern Hemisphere giants up for grabs over the next few weeks, he will be keen to see a video.


Lancaster will next month be naming his 55-man England and England Saxons squads and Strettle is hoping that he does enough to get himself into those plans.


Strettle said: “I still have England ambitions but you should be asking Stuart Lancaster.


“Everybody keeps on asking for the question but I want to be involved in the World Cup.


“I think I played well enough last season to be in the squad but I didn’t get in and nobody has told me what I need to do to get there.


“If I was fresh on the scene I would probably be in the squad but Stuart wants to look at a few other people. He probably thinks he knows what he would get from me.”


Article source: http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/brilliant-ireland-cruise-into-world-cup-semifinals-30495477.html


Saracens 34 - Wasps 28: Hat-trick star Strettle shows England quality

No comments:

Post a Comment