Wednesday 29 January 2014

Nuneaton rugby star Ben Cooper looking to make the most of Scotland call



Comments (0)


NUNEATON’S Ben Cooper is hoping to put himself in the shop window after being selected for the Scotland Under-20s Six Nations squad.


The fly-half, who qualifies for the Scots via his grandparents, is going all out to make the grade after deciding combining studies and playing for Leeds Carnegie was impossible.


He said: “My priority is the Six Nations and then the Under-20 World Cup.


“It’s a great shop window on a personal note as pro clubs will be watching.


“Hopefully I can impress. I’m really enjoying my rugby and I want to give it my all for a few years to see where it takes me.


“I tried uni and rugby together in Leeds and it didn’t work out so I want to focus on just rugby.”


The 19-year-old former Nuneaton RFC junior is using the case of Tommy Allan for inspiration.


Allan was the first choice stand-off for Scotland Under-20s last year and he now plays for Perpignan in France and is a full Italian international having switch allegiances.


With Allan out of the picture, Cooper is keen to step into his boots.


“It’s a competitive squad,” he said. “I’d love to get more game time than last year.


“That was about development for me. Tommy Allan, who played the games, has done great things since then playing for Italy and in France.


“I’m pushing hard in every session to play as much as possible.”


The Scots remain the perennial underdogs in the Under-20 Six Nations.


However, Cooper and his team-mates are looking to shake that tag, starting with a game against Ireland on Friday.


“We are really positive as a team,” he said.


“Ireland away first will be tough, a big test. I really dislike the Scottish underdogs tag though so I’d love to shake that off.”


On the club rugby front, Cooper is enjoying life at Edinburgh-based Boroughmuir, who currently top the RBS National League.


Before that he had short spell with their league rivals Kelso.


“I had some time at Kelso but it didn’t work out.


“It’s been fantastic at Boroughmuir and living in Edinburgh is great. It’s a fantastic city.


“I signed for them in November but I had a hip injury at the time.


“Since I got fit again I’ve had plenty of game time.


“I’ve got the Six Nations coming up now so that will limit my chances, but it’s a great club and they’ve made me really welcome.”



Article source: http://www.thescore.ie/5-irish-rugby-stars-2014-1237111-Jan2014/


Incoming search terms:


  • ireland youth 2014 rugbh


Nuneaton rugby star Ben Cooper looking to make the most of Scotland call

No comments:

Post a Comment