Thursday 4 September 2014

Jonny Sexton confirm return to Ireland

As reported earlier this week, Jonny Sexton will leave Racing Metro at the end of the season and return to Ireland.


The Irish fly-half, who joined the French outfit last season, confirmed his departure today and having signed a four-year deal with the Irish federation and Leinster.


The new contract will see the British Irish Lions star remain in Ireland until the end of the 2019 Rugby World Cup.


He said: “I get along with everyone here and it was a tough decision to take but I had to make a choice for my family and my Test career.


“I don’t regret my choice to come to France and Racing at all. It was an incredible experience. Now I don’t to hear anything about my contract. All I want is concentrate on Racing and only Racing.


“I am pleased to be re-joining Leinster, the club where I started my professional career. I grew up playing my rugby in Leinster and always wanting to pull on the blue jersey so I am delighted to be able to return to play my club rugby in Ireland.”


Chairman Jacky Lorenzetti added: “Jonny has decided to leave the club and, although it is disappointing, we accept it.”


IRFU CEO Philip Browne said: “Jonathan is one the best out-halves in world rugby and the IRFU are delighted that he will be playing his rugby in Ireland. Irish rugby will benefit hugely from having a player of his calibre playing full-time in Ireland.”


Tagged , , ,


Article source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2707086/Scotlands-rugby-sevens-medal-hopes-alive-Canada-win-sees-New-Zealand-Pool-A.html


Jonny Sexton confirm return to Ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment