Monday 30 December 2013

Rugby League: England boss Steve McNamara still haunted by World Cup agony



“I have still not got my head round it”


Steve McNamara



McNamara’s England role will be part-time next year as he is joining Sydney Roosters as assistant coach.


The move has angered some fans, who fear he will not be able to assess Super League players if he is in Australia.


“But there are a lot of benefits from me being based out there. It is a good fit, with the knowledge I will be getting. I will be seeing our opponents in action every week.”


McNamara insists England hopefuls in Super League should not worry about being overlooked.


He said: “I will have access to all the games. I’ll have a lot of contact with the England coaching staff and analysts. It’s never just been about me.”


England are unlikely to have any games before next autumn’s Four Nations but will have various camps during the season.


McNamara added: “We are still planning everything and hopefully I can get back at some stage.”


The Roosters kick off the NRL season with the World Club Challenge against Super League champions Wigan in Sydney on February 22.


“It’s a fantastic start and it’s a great challenge for me,” added McNamara.


Article source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/england-rugby-union-world-cup-2859169


Rugby League: England boss Steve McNamara still haunted by World Cup agony

No comments:

Post a Comment