Thursday 26 December 2013

Hallam Amos faces testing time

The 19-year-old, who made his Test debut against Tonga in November, is juggling two Welsh derbies with his studies over the festive period as he crams for looming medical exams at Cardiff University next month.


Like Jamie Roberts before him, Amos is finding the business of balancing the demands of professional rugby with those of becoming a doctor mean precious little downtime.


The twin-track approach means sacrifices on both sides. He had to miss the Dragons’ trip to Bordeaux in the Amlin Challenge Cup a fortnight ago to make a dent in his coursework but he is determined to try to follow in his parents’ footsteps and qualify.


“I’m pretty flat out with the studying at the moment. I’ve got to learn pretty much the whole human anatomy, so when I’m not on the training pitch I have my head in my books. It’s a really busy period but I’m loving it,” he said.


“It was disappointing not to go to France – it would have been great to have gone on that trip – but the Dean of Medicine told me I had to keep on track and I have missed a lot of work.


“My studies are going well and I don’t feel like I’m struggling, but I have a lot of studying to do.”


After swotting hard in the run-up to Christmas, he will briefly drop the anatomy books to take on Cardiff Blues, first at Rodney Parade this evening and then at the Arms Park on New Year’s Day.


The Scarlets also entertain the Ospreys today in the first of two Pro12 games between the regions in the space of six days.


“Blues-Dragons games are always big but in a league sense it doesn’t come any bigger than a double-header at Christmas. We’re really looking forward to it,” said Amos.


“In the past they’ve got the upper hand a couple of times but this year we have been playing well. We’ve a new coaching set-up, some new players and we’re enjoying our rugby a bit more.


“There is a little bit more pressure to win against the Blues, especially as they are struggling a bit with injuries, but they had a couple of great performances recently against Glasgow. It is always going to be close but hopefully we can edge it. ”


Article source: http://www.express.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/413076/Deans-future-remains-unresolved


Hallam Amos faces testing time

No comments:

Post a Comment