Sunday 27 October 2013

Sports presenter Kate Bennett seeks conversions to the Rugby League World Cup

The Rugby League World Cup was  held in the UK in 2000, and now it’s  back again. Wales has quite a good  team now, so coach Iestyn Harris is  hoping that they’ll get through to the  quarter finals and put in a good  performance. In Wales, obviously, rugby  union is the main sport, but more  people are getting into rugby league.  Up north in England, rugby league has  always been a popular sport. It’s one  thing I’ve noticed coming from the  Welsh side, because I was brought up  with rugby union.


My dad Phil Waters was a  well-known rugby union player. He  played for Newport 1968-72, then  Pontypool 1972-75, Bristol 1975-79 and  then back to Newport 1979-82, so that’s  how I got into it. I was dragged round  to all the matches. My mum was really  into rugby as well, and I have two  sisters, so we’d all get taken to the  games. My dad told me he’s the answer  to a pub quiz question – he’s the only  player ever to play in the championship  for three different clubs.


Rugby league was different at first,  but now I’ve got into it, it’s really  enjoyable. There are a few differences  and rugby league isn’t as in demand, but  they’re hoping that the Rugby League  World Cup will change that. There are  14 teams competing – the three big  ones are Australia, New Zealand and  England. Then you’ve got Samoa, Fiji,  the Papuans – any of those could cause  an upset, so there’s bound to be some  surprises. We’re hoping people who are  into rugby union will come to rugby  league matches and we’ll have a few  converts.


Coming to Cardiff for today’s opening ceremony? Read our guide


When I was about 16 I went to the  Welsh Schools Athletics  Championships to compete and saw  Roger Black. I went and asked if I  could interview him for my school  magazine, which I edited, and entered  it into the Lloyds TSB Young Sports  Writers’ competition, where I won  first and second prize. I went to  university and wanted to do  journalism or acting. I gave the  acting a go and had just finished  Last of the Summer Wine and I was  asked to cover the women’s rugby  world cup for ESPN. It’s funny how  it works.


I’ve covered a wide variety of  sports After I did the women’s rugby  world cup, I worked at Channel Four  and on ESPN’s I Won Gold, which was  an Olympic series. Then I worked on  the cricket as a reporter and  producer and I did Sky beach  volleyball last year. This year I  did the world bowls tour  January to May, which was  really interesting. Then in  May I was the lead  reporter and producer  on ICC Cricket 360,  which is seen by 95  million people in 110 countries. We  finished that the day before my baby  was due.


Beatrix is 12 weeks old now. I was  working when she was five weeks, it is  a bit manic, but it’s been brilliant. I  thought it would be really easy to go  back to work but it was really hard, it  was tougher than you’d think.


I’m looking forward to covering the  Rugby League World Cup for  Premier.I have had a few people say,  ‘Brilliant, it’ll be rugby union world cup  next’ – that’s been the reaction from my  southern and Welsh friends, but the  northerners think it’s amazing that I’m  going to all the matches.


There are a few people who’ve  switched between the two games. Iestyn Harris played rugby league, then  went to rugby union and went back to  rugby league, and obviously Jonathan  Davies is one of the rugby league greats  as well as in rugby union. But rugby  league is becoming more popular and I  think if England and Wales put in a  good performance, it should grab  people’s imaginations and hopefully get  bigger and bigger.


The Rugby League World Cup  kicks off today, with Australia  playing England at the Millennium  Stadium. Visit www.rlwc2013.com  for more. Subscribe to Premier  Sports for £9.99 per month, find out  more at www.premiersports.tv
Follow Kate on Twitter for updates  @katebennett_tv


Article source: http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/rugby-player-in-deportation-battle-is-freed-from-detention.22461234


Sports presenter Kate Bennett seeks conversions to the Rugby League World Cup

No comments:

Post a Comment