Friday 28 June 2013

Rugby Union: George North apologises for try celebration

George North scored one of the great tries in Lions’ history with a 60-metre solo run that saw him evade four tackles

British Irish Lions wing George North feels “horrendous” for the triumphant gesture he made towards Australia’s Will Genia during last Saturday’s 23-21 victory in Brisbane.


North scored one of the great tries in the tourists’ history with a 60-metre solo run that saw him evade four tackles, one of them from Genia who he pointed his finger at before crossing the whitewash.


The 21-year-old, who joins Northampton Saints this summer, was criticised for a gesture that he regrets and finds difficult to rationalise.


“I’ve had a few words from various people. I’ve apologised and can’t really explain what I did,” he said. “I got caught up in the emotion of the try. Looking back I feel horrendous for doing it now. I’ll have to live with that and take it on the chin.


“I’ve had big words from [tour manager] Andy Irvine, which was fun. Rugby’s a gentleman’s game and that shouldn’t be involved in the game. Andy said that to me and I knew it as soon as I’d done it. It’s very difficult to explain your emotions when you’ve scored a try.


“I know it was out of line with sportsmanship and rugby and feel terrible for that. I’ve had a lot of stick from the boys for doing that and am pretty sure it will go on for a while longer.”


Article source: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wales-rugby-star-craig-mitchell-4726750


Rugby Union: George North apologises for try celebration

No comments:

Post a Comment