A ONE-MAN roadwork protest by Colin Charvis came to a head yesterday when his 4×4 was towed away from outside his business.
The former Wales rugby captain and British Lion said work on the boulevard project in Swansea had resulted in a dramatic drop-off in trade because his shop had been left isolated.
â
Former Wales rugby international Colin Charvis stands by as his car is about to be towed away.
Yesterday his vehicle was taken away by council contractors after he refused to move it from outside his premises on Oystermouth Road.
Swansea Council said it had been in talks with Mr Charvis about the road works and his business can still be accessed from York Street.
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery VAT included. Choose from 1000′s of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs
Terms:
Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Monday, September 30 2013
<!–
By use of this code snippet, I agree to the Brightcove Publisher T and C
found at https://accounts.brightcove.com/en/terms-and-conditions/.
–>
<!–
This script tag will cause the Brightcove Players defined above it to be created as soon
as the line is read by the browser. If you wish to have the player instantiated only after
the rest of the HTML is processed and the page load is complete, remove the line.
–>
The European-style boulevard aims to link-up the city centre with Swanseaâs sea front.
Mr Charvis who runs a carpet, laminate and floor covering business, said he had asked Swansea Council to create a temporary entrance for customers and deliveries but he had been left frustrated.
Yesterday he left his 4×4 inside the cordoned off stretch of road in front of his business, where he has called for a temporary entrance to be created.
But the vehicle was taken away by contractors, who were unable to complete a trench they have been digging because of the blockage.
Mr Charvis said: âI really donât want to be a nimby [not in my back yard], but I am totally isolated here.
âThe council says it is offering solutions to businesses, but they have not worked for me.
âIâve had to move my stock inside because it was getting covered in dust, and now its taking up room inside where we cut our stock. Customers canât park here, and they have been getting parking tickets leaving their vehicles nearby.
âAnd deliveries canât drive into the front.
âThe LC had a mini entrance for a while, when work was going on at their side of the road, so why couldnât something similar be done for me?
âIâve left my car out the front so there is an access point.
âIâm losing business, but there is no change to the business rates I am being charged.
âThis is my livelihood, and the people who work for me.
âIâve laid my body on the line for this city and I have invested in it, but the business is going to be ruined.â
A Swansea Council spokesperson said: âWeâve met Mr Charvis on several occasions to discuss his concerns. Itâs not possible for vehicles to park on the construction site outside his business on Victoria Road at the moment because that would be unsafe.
âAccess to the LC and Mr Charvisâs business are very different â the LC only has one access point for services and deliveries, whereas Mr Charvisâs business can still be accessed from York Street. This is why weâve agreed a number of temporary measures with Mr Charvis that include access for deliveries and pick-ups from York Street, cones to help mark out a designated parking area for his business and help for moving large rolls of carpet.
âIn the meantime, weâre keen to support Mr Charvisâ business and are happy to discuss any reasonable measures he feels may help while the works are ongoing.â
A spokesman for contractors Costain added: âWe asked Mr Charvis on a number of occasions to remove his car from the construction site so that works could safely continue.
âUnfortunately, he didnât remove his car so there was no choice other than to remove it.â
Article source: http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Rugby-Union-Stoke-time-click-says-skipper-Chris/story-19753246-detail/story.html
VIDEO: Rugby star"s car towed in one-man boulevard protest
No comments:
Post a Comment