Thursday 29 May 2014

Irish lock Ryan Caldwell to leave Bath Rugby to join Exeter Chiefs this summer



Comments (0)


Ryan Caldwell is to leave Bath Rugby this summer to join Aviva Premiership rivals Exeter Chiefs.


Two-cap Ireland international Caldwell made more than 50 appearances for Bath after joining the club from home province Ulster in 2011.


However, the 29-year-old has been blighted by injuries over the past two seasons and slipped down the second-row pecking order at The Rec as a result.


Caldwell will now join West Country rivals Exeter for next season after agreeing a one-year deal at Sandy Park.


Caldwell said: “It’s been a tough decision as I’ve had a great time at Bath. I’d like to thank everyone at the club and all the supporters, who have been so supportive in my time here.”


Bath head coach Mike Ford added: “Ryan’s been a great character and squad member for us, and we’ll miss him around the place.


“He’s a strong player, very physical, and I’m sure he’ll be very successful in the next stage of his career, and of course we wish him well.”


Caldwell quickly established himself as a fans’ favourite at The Rec with his committed and physical style of play.


But after an excellent debut year at Bath, he suffered a string of injuries and made just five Premiership appearances over the last two seasons.


Exeter boss Rob Baxter believes those problems are behind Caldwell and backed him to make a big impact in Chiefs colours.


“Ryan is a really good signing for us,” said Baxter.


“I have kept an eye on him ever since he came over because we were interested in signing him when he came over from Ulster, but we were never really in the market for him.


“Since then I have watched him over a number of seasons and when he first came over he played really well for Bath. He has had some injury issues, but they are behind him and he is fit and ready to play. We feel it’s a great opportunity for Ryan to show what he can do.


Caldwell added: “It’s a great move for me and one that I am very much looking forward to.


“Obviously it’s a new challenge for me in my career, but I like the brand of rugby that the Chiefs play and hopefully I can go down there and play a big part for them next season.


“They’ve shown over the last few years that they are a side that are on the up and that they can compete with the very best clubs.


“Having played against them a few times, I know they’re a hard-working and tough side to come up against.


“They’ve always seemed to have a big, strong pack of forwards and behind they’ve got guys in the backs who can work the magic. I’m just looking forward to getting down there, settling in and see what I can bring to the table.”



Article source: http://www.express.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/477487/Brown-injury-boost-for-England


Irish lock Ryan Caldwell to leave Bath Rugby to join Exeter Chiefs this summer

No comments:

Post a Comment