Friday 2 May 2014

David Wilson stepping out of the England shadows

In the respectful silence Wilson was concerned the crunch of his studs, as his 19st bore down on the Tarmac perimeter, might prove off-putting. So he froze like a statue and waited for Goode to kick the goal before continuing on his way with a smile.


Going unnoticed has been Wilson’s forte. Despite being part of the England squad for the past five years, Bath’s Geordie prop has made an art-form out of the anonymous substitute appearance, passing the 30-cap mark with barely a ripple.


Then, suddenly, in this season’s Six Nations, everything changed when the hitherto indestructible Dan Cole went down just as Wilson was coming back from a six-week lay-off with a calf injury.


Wilson’s subsequent performances for England transformed not only the way he was regarded by the management, but the way he felt about himself.


“It might be only temporary and by default but I’ve gained a lot of confidence from the experience of stepping up and doing the job. I really enjoyed it and took a lot from it,” said Wilson.


“I’ve had my chances in the past with England but I don’t feel like I’ve taken them. I’m just doing everything I can to try to take this one and play my best when I get the opportunity.


Article source: http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_14865-powell-will-be-wary-of-cup-upset-says-aston.html


David Wilson stepping out of the England shadows

No comments:

Post a Comment