Premiership Rugby last night insisted that its new tournament would be âopen
to teams from other countriesâ and it is understood there has already been
declarations of informal interest from a number of clubs in Europe and South
Africa.
But initial approval for an Anglo-French competition first have to come from
the Rugby Football Union and French Rugby Federation. And while both will
face strong pressure from their clubs to back their plan, both unions are
unlikely to support a proposal that is opposed by the IRB.
The IRBâs declaration could also effectively weaken the negotiating position
of the English and French clubs as it effectively gives the Celtic and
Italian unions a veto if they refuse to engage in the proposed new
tournament.
Gosper insisted he was confident that a deal could be struck to salvage the
Heineken Cup and, speaking at a press conference in Canary Wharf in London
to mark the two-year countdown to England hosting the 2015 Rugby World Cup,
insisted the outcome would be a defining moment for the global game.
âI think it is important because obviously we want the right outcome,â added
Gosper. âIf we believe a full European competition is good for rugby then
yes, it is important. But this is a negotiation. Letâs not get too carried
away.â
Gosperâs appeal for compromise was echoed on Wednesday by Englandâs
World Cup-winning fly-half Jonny Wilkinson.
âIt would be an incredible shame if we werenât able to compete in the Heineken
Cup which is, effectively, the World Cup for European clubs,â said
Wilkinson, who won the tournament with Toulon last season. âItâs a fabulous
thing and the more people who can experience it, the better.â
ERC has called a meeting of all parties in Dublin on Oct 23 in an attempt to
broker a peace deal in the wake of the decision of the English and French
clubs last week to set up their own tournament.
The prospect of the English clubs, who served notice along with their French
counterparts to leave the current accord in June 2012 to force an overhaul
of the structure, qualifying and distribution of the revenue, of attending
the negotiations however now looks very unlikely.
Wednesdayâs meeting, Premiership Rugby appeared to all but rule out any return
to the negotiating table under the ERC framework.
âThe clubs see no purpose in new discussions starting as late as the end of
October 2013, as proposed earlier this week,â said the statement.
âThe proposals from the French and English clubs for two new, strong
competitions of 20 teams in each were tabled more than a year ago.
âThe clubs reaffirmed their instruction to Premiership Rugby to take immediate
action to put in place a competition for the 2014/15 season onwards to
include the French and English clubs, and for this competition to be open to
teams from other countries. It was confirmed that this should be progressed
with urgency.â
Article source: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1778843/Depleted-Ireland-in-rugby-rout-of-Canada
Anglo-French breakaway project suffers devastating blow after international ...
No comments:
Post a Comment