Wednesday 26 March 2014

Ashton Gate dream to come true next season for Bristol Rugby"s former goalie ...



Comments (0)


TWENTY years after he first dreamed of becoming a first-team regular at Ashton Gate, Ryan Jones will finally get the chance to make it happen next season.


Bristol’s latest signing is no stranger to the club’s future home – he was once a promising goalkeeper on Bristol City’s books.


The rugby club will share Ashton Gate with City from next season – and Jones joked that his sporting career will have “gone full circle” when he first runs out at the venue in a Bristol shirt.


The 33-year-old Wales star, who is joining Bristol on a two-year contract from Ospreys, used to travel over from his home in Newport as a youngster to train with City’s academy.


“I was too big, fat and slow even for rugby, let alone for professional football,” joked Jones.


“I had a loose link with Bristol City as a young teenager – but, sadly, I was never going to be good enough to make it as a footballer. I wasn’t as bad at rugby as I was at football, so I ended up pursuing that!


“I used to spend two or three nights a week down at Ashton Gate, training and what-not, so it’s gone full circle for me, with Bristol moving there next season.”


Bristol will move to Ashton Gate – which will be developed over the next few years into a state-of-the-art stadium – after 93 years at the Memorial Stadium.


And Jones, who has first-hand experience of how Ospreys and Swansea City co-exist at the Liberty Stadium, is confident the partnership at Ashton Gate will work well.


“It’s something we did with Swansea City and Ospreys, so I know it can work well,” said Jones. “In a sporting sense, it makes for an exciting heart of the city – and it’s great to be part of something like that.”


Moving to a new club can be a nerve-wracking experience – even for a veteran forward with 75 caps for his country and a further three for the British Irish Lions.


But Jones will not be short of familiar faces when he finally links up with Bristol. He worked closely with Bristol coach Sean Holley at Ospreys; he worked under director of rugby Andy Robinson on the Lions tour of 2005; and he has played alongside Bristol fly-half Nicky Robinson and future signings Dwayne Peel and Matthew Morgan.


Jones also went to school with Bristol’s head of medical services, Dan Martin, and knows Danny Wilson – who will join the club as forwards coach this summer – from university.


“I’ve been speaking to Peely about the move, and I’m looking forward to catching up with him and playing alongside him again – he is one of rugby’s characters,” said Jones. “I also know Matthew Morgan from Ospreys, and I’ve seen him grow from a young kid into a really top talent. I went to school with Dan Martin, and I know Danny Wilson from uni, so it’s going to be a bit of a reunion this summer. But rugby is a small world and everyone’s paths seem to keep intertwining.”


Jones has captained Wales 33 times – more than any other player – and, while he missed the recent RBS Six Nations with a hamstring injury, he hopes to continue representing his country after he moves to Bristol.


“I’ve still got a burning ambition to play for Wales,” he said. “It really is one of rugby’s highlights – being able to play international rugby for your country.


“I am a very, very proud Welshman, and I am very proud of what I have been part of in international rugby.


“So I have still got a burning ambition to keep playing for Wales – and Andy Robinson and Sean Holley are very supportive of that.”



Article source: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/347499/England-20-Australia-28-Jonny-Thurston-too-good-for-brave-England


Ashton Gate dream to come true next season for Bristol Rugby"s former goalie ...

No comments:

Post a Comment